JTAG / Chip-Off Forensics8-Day Combined Digital Forensic Training
In this eight-day class, students learn the skills required to successfully perform memory acquisitions using the JTAG and using Advanced BGA Chip-off Techniques. The comprehensive course enables examiners to gain the essential knowledge of the practice and plenty of hands-on time working with devices.
New Class Additions
- New probing processes
- Password recovery on newer devices
- New soldering processes
- Students learn on Z3X box, in addition to Riff
- Information on new equipment
8-Day Course Details
- Course Code: AT-JTAG/CHIP
- Duration: 8 Days
- Laptop Required?: Yes
- This class is for Sworn Law Enforcement only
- *Please Note: Due to the sensitive nature of our curriculum, and industry, all potential students are subject to vetting prior to enrollment. We reserve the right to refuse registration to any person that does not meet our established criteria.
Included with Training
FREE! Students receive with training:
- 1 complimentary RIFF Box 2.0 Kit
- 1 complimentary JPIN JTAG Molex Flex Kit
- Magnet Internet Evidence Finder (IEF) Trial License
- E-Mate Pro eMMC Tool
- Medusa Pro Box
Very good instructors, very friendly & outgoing, would definitely take a class with them again.
What Will I Learn?
4 Days of JTAG Forensics
The comprehensive course enables examiners to gain the essential knowledge of the practice and plenty of hands-on time working with devices. Students are taught the skills to confidently access the inner-workings and device memory in a non-destructive way. In the course, examiners engage in how to utilize JTAG tools to access the memory of devices and acquire the data. Providing the necessary education into memory and JTAG configurations and access techniques, the JTAG component enables examiners to learn and practice on today’s devices using the latest tools.
JTAG Course Components
- Device Disassembly and Reassembly
- Applying the JTAG Technique Properly to Acquire Data
- Obtaining a physical image from a locked/USB Debugging disabled Android phone, determining the password and then recovering the user data using your forensic tools
The class provides proper training in disassembly and reassembly of a working device, so that the JTAG connectors can be accessed, and soldered to, if necessary.
4 Days of Chip-off Forensics
Students gain an understanding of device structure, and best practices for chip removal and cleaning. With a focus on proper procedures, the class provides the fundamental and necessary skills and understanding to remove chips from the boards with the least opportunity for damage. Students learn how to use the tools and techniques at their disposal to remove chips in the safest fashion using Infrared rework tools and Infrared reflow wave ovens. Students get a complete hands-on experience beginning with intact, password-protected, and in some cases encrypted BlackBerry devices loaded with data, and end with the raw data acquired from the removed chip. Once the data is acquired, an education on how to best apply todays tools and other techniques to decode the data follows. Additionally, chip-off on smartphones and features phones is covered, and chip-off exercises are performed.
- Properly Removing a BGA Chip from a Device
- Handling and Preparing the Chip to be Read
- Reading the Chip to Acquire the Data
- Applying Tools and Techniques to Decode the Data
- In practical lessons, hands-on lessons using password protected
- Blackberry devices, and utilizing forensic software to recover the data
- Students are provided with multiple devices to practice removing chips and acquiring the data
We prefer students bring their own laptops whenever possible. If this is not possible, Teel Tech Canada will provide one for you. If you are unable to bring your own laptop, please indicate so on the registration page.
For students bringing a laptop to class, please ensure they meet the following minimum requirements:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8.x and 10.x using these instructions (turn off driver sig enforcement)
- macOS with Bootcamp Windows 7
- macOS with Bootcamp Windows 8.x and Win 10.x using these instructions
- macOS alone will not work (No Virtual Machines)
- 8GB RAM (minimum)
- 100GB storage (minimum)
- You must have Admin rights or have the admin password for software installation.
- NOTE: ALL Windows updates should be done prior to class.
- Cellebrite P.A. Dongle
- Encase, FTK, X-Ways Dongle
- Access to a HEX editor
- External USB 3.0 Storage Device
This class is for Sworn Law Enforcement ONLY.
For questions regarding this policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (250) 893-6125
Join the Community