Board Level RepairFor Digital Forensic Examiners
Digital Forensic Examiners are special, in that we NEED to get the data no matter what! In order to do so, we need working devices. We focus persistence by never giving up on a device until we obtain the data.
This course was developed with the ever-changing field of digital forensics in mind. No longer can we rely on just commercial tools and automated processes. Now more than ever, it is important to be able to diagnose inoperable devices and perform device repairs at the board level so we can obtain our data extractions.
Through a combination of lectures and hands on practicals, students will learn indispensable diagnosis skills, troubleshooting resources, and the latest repair techniques utilizing state of the art equipment.
The course curriculum was developed by our instructors who are experienced repair professionals and expert digital forensic examiners who practice these skills on a daily basis.
What to do when you do not have schematics as a reference
Keeping in tradition with all Teel Technologies Canada offerings, this course goes beyond repair and relates to the specific needs of the digital forensic examiner.
Although this course will follow a specific program, content is subject to change depending on student interest and inquiries, as well as any breakthrough digital forensics techniques. This course will also teach you when the data is unrecoverable.
Those in the digital forensics field follow certain requirements, in particular, Daubert and Frye. The subject matter and course content follows “best practice methods” and accepted techniques that are reliable and relevant in the scientific community.
Board Level Repair Course Details
- Course Code: AT-BLR
- Duration: 5 Days
- Laptop Required?: Yes
- This class is open to all forensic professionals.
- *Please Note: Due to the sensitive nature of our curriculum, and industry, all potential students are subject to vetting prior to enrollment. We reserve the right to refuse registration to any person that does not meet our established criteria.
- Equipment & Resources
- Knowledge of Printed Circuit Boards
- Recognition of Surface Mount components (SMCs)
- How SMCs Work & How SMCs Fail
- Precision Soldering Techniques
- Fixing/repairing Previous Mistakes
- Trace and pad repair
- Water Damage Repair
- How to Properly Use a Digital Multimeter
- Familiarity & Use of an Oscilloscope
- Basic Component Repair
- Complex Board Repair
- Device Specific Common Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Non-Functioning Devices
- Reading Schematics
We prefer students bring their own laptops whenever possible. If this is not possible, Teel Tech Canada will provide one for you. If you are unable to bring your own laptop, please indicate so on the registration page.
For students bringing a laptop to class, please ensure they meet the following minimum requirements:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8.x and 10.x using these instructions (turn off driver sig enforcement)
- macOS with Bootcamp Windows 7
- macOS with Bootcamp Windows 8.x and Win 10.x using these instructions
- macOS alone will not work (No Virtual Machines)
- 8GB RAM (minimum)
- 100GB storage (minimum)
- You must have Admin rights or have the admin password for software installation.
- NOTE: ALL Windows updates should be done prior to class.